Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I sipped, I samba'd, I redefined Sunday Funday.

Last weekend I took a small detour from my Sunday routine that usually consists of furiously writing for my site (I admittedly have a love affair with procrastination) and stocking up on food for the week all while attempting to have minimal amount of exposure to triple digit heat. 

The detour, courtesy of my friends at DCNT, led me to the Gocha & Shorena Center of Dance. I didn't even know this place existed, which kills me since I used to only live a block away! That said, I'm so glad I found it, or I should say, was introduced to it (eh 'hem, just another perk when you have a figurative Members Only jacket with the DCNT).

The event kicked off the new dance season with some major hip action and had lovers of all things dance-related in one room, chatting, shaking, and drinking it up.

I could do plenty of word play here using dance terminology and weaving it in with witty alliterations, but I'm not going the 'Hallmark-card' route. It's not how I roll. 

While taking just a couple of pics at this event (I posted my favorite one below) I realized something relatively profound. I saw people from all walks of life brought together on one floor, all in the name of shaking it. Some hips moved quicker than others, some steps were taken more gracefully than others, but there was one common denominator, and that was pure, in-the-moment, carefree contentment. You don't have to look too hard to see it on the faces of those dancing. Trust me, this is the facial recognition skill that your inner ten year old has managed to keep in the deep dark recesses of your mind just for moments like this. Moments that, almost like muscle memory, have your inner dialogue saying something to the tune of, "Ohhhhhh yea, I know that face. I'd recognize it anywhere."


It was a short event and it was a sweet event. To watch others get out on a floor and check their busy minds at the door was not only refreshing, I left inspired. I left with a level of certainty that only further  reinforced my absolute adoration for dance. A small word that encompasses far beyond the five letters we use to talk and write about it.

Cheers to everyone at the DCNT for coordinating such a great event. Cheers to Gocha and Shorena for the beautiful center and community they have built. And a final toast to the feet that made their way onto that shiny floor (see below)...


No comments:

Post a Comment